Friday, July 13, 2012

Color me blue!

source
So if eating lots of carrots can change the color of your skin tone to a orange-yellow glow.  What will eating lots of blueberries do?

Don't worry, the answer is NOT make you a smurf.



When I first starting eating fruits and vegetables to replenish my nutrient store, I did notice a definite difference.  In looking back at before pictures, I can see that I was a grey, sickly color.  Studies have shown that after increasing produce intake for 6 weeks, there was a notable difference in skin color. Due to the beta-carotene (yellow) and lycopene (red) in fruits and vegetables that give them their color, they also had a similiar effect on skin tone, which further supports the old claim - you are what you eat! 

Blueberries are full of antioxidants which fight free-radicals that damage cells.  So though they don't contribute to the color of your skin (phew!)  they do speed up skin cell production, which can contribute to that healthy glow we all look to have.  Blueberries also have phytonutrients that are anti-inflammatory which increase your bodies ability to self heal and boost your immunity.  Net result? If your insides are healthy, your skin is healthy as a result.

I call these babies my skinny berries.  I knew that I felt better when I was eating them regularly.  But now I understand why!  A reduction in inflammation makes for an overall good feeling!

There are other fruits and veggies hailed for their anti-inflammatory properties, but blueberry is considered king. Some of my favorites from the list?
  • Broccoli
  • Green Tea
  • Sweet Potato
  • Shiitake Mushrooms
  • Kelp
But today is about the king.  Since I had 10 lbs to work through to celebrate blueberry month, I have been busy cooking with and eating blueberries.  Some of this past week's lovelies:

Mama Pea's Blueberry Crisp was a great treat we enjoyed out on the deck one evening with a cup of coffee, oh ... and there may have been some vanilla bean ice cream involved too.


Fat Free Vegan's Blueberry Vinaigrette inspired this blend.



And Not Quite Martha's Blueberry and Feta Salad inspired my own Summer Chop Salad with Avocado - yum!



Oh She Glows Berry Bliss Oat Squares were a delicious guilt free treat!


Of course, the simplest way to enjoy blueberries in season is to top some of your favorite items with them - fresh.  No recipe needed!


Hmm...all this blue is inspiring in me in other areas.  Oh, and this little guy:


How do you not melt with those baby blues looking up at you?  I will call him Elton, and he will be my inspiration for our master bath which is desperately in need of some character.

Blue!!

Have a great weekend! Hope you are enjoying blueberry season as much as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment